Taking students to the theatre is not only fun, it promotes literacy, teaches history, improves comprehension and encourages critical thinking. Students who regularly attend the theatre are said to be more compassionate and empathetic. A trip to the theatre can be used as an authentic assessment opportunity or the perfect culminating activity!
Special school group pricing is on offer from $15 to $25 per student (depending on which show) with teachers receiving one free ticket for every 10 students attending.
Leading Australian companies such as Bell Shakespeare, Queensland Ballet and shake & stir theatre co are brought to Mackay by the MECC to ensure residents of the Mackay region and surrounds access quality programs at affordable prices, in the same manner as their capital city counterparts.
Funding is available for schools to access the theatre through the Pathways to Performance Program. If you have any enquiries about upcoming shows or want to make a booking for a show, please contact the Engagement Team on 4961 9767 or email@example.com.
How to make a school booking
To support your planning each year, the Mackay Entertainment and Convention Centre is pleased to offer schools a pre-booking service for relevant shows.
1. Reserve your seats and apply for funding - contact our Engagement Team to make a booking - let us know how many students and teachers will attend, including any special seating requirements i.e. wheelchairs. Take note of your reservation number. Funding is available for schools to apply for as well. Check if your school is eligible to apply for funding to attend the performance through our Pathways to Performance program.
2. Planning - When a booking is made, our Engagement team will send out any Teachers Resources or subject links to assist with planning unit work or assessments you may undertake. Prepare your excursion/permission slips and put the due date at least two weeks prior to the show date.
3. Final numbers and lead up to event - Our team will contact you two weeks prior to the event for your final numbers, this allows for invoicing. We will also ensure you know seat allocations (if applicable) and anything else important for the day.
4. On the day - Aim to arrive at the MECC 30 minutes before the performance. At the box office, a staff member will point you in the right direction of where to go. Students will be asked to leave school bags at a designated area of the North Foyer before entering the auditorium. Enjoy the show!
5. Post-event - Our engagement team will ask you to fill in a post-event survey - this helps us secure sponsorship, allowing our Pathways to Performance program to continue providing funding to attend the theatre! Please also send through any photos you can have for our Educators Newsletter as well!